Whether you’re constructing your new family home, adding a new room, or remodeling an outdated structure, the AC duct work is an important, but challenging step. We at DUCTZ of N Lauderdale & Pompano Beach may be biased, but we highly advise that you hire a licensed professional contractor to install duct work for you.
Duct leakage can create serious health hazard risks by altering critical pressure balances in homes. These imbalances can literally bring deadly carbon monoxide containing flue gasses into your home. Leaks on the return air side of your furnace duct system can also create health hazards by drawing toxic chemicals, mold, allergens, humidity, dust, crawlspace pesticides and other contaminants into your home. Upgrading your duct system is frequently the first step to a healthier and energy efficient home.
The most common mistakes made when installing duct work include:
- Inadequate planning – the ductwork design in relation to the location of the AC equipment should be strategically mapped out to avoid runs that are too long, which means that an AC unit will have to work harder to push air to the right spaces.
- Sharp bends and crimping – trying to force air ducts through tight spaces in your home’s framework, or around sharp corners, can restrict the airflow through your ducts. Make sure the duct has enough space.
- Poor sealing – improperly installing seals between sections of your ductwork can lead to air leaks. This can have two potential impacts: it can limit the amount of air that is able to pass through, or it can suck in air from the outside and reduce the efficacy of temperature control.
- Poor placement – If an air duct is placed in close proximity to an exterior wall that is poorly insulated, the temperature of the air outside the home can affect the temperature of the duct itself, which then affects the temperature of the space that the duct is filtering air to.
- Improper sizing – there are a lot of factors that should be considered when measuring your materials, including the type of AC system your home is using, the load requirements, and the location of the ducts. Failure to adequately plan and measure your materials is a major misstep in the duct installation process.
- Forgetting the returns – an AC ductwork system should come with enough return vents to pull air back into the system to manage temperature comfort.
There are so many variables and risks that you take when venturing into AC duct installation. If you don’t have the experience or knowledge of AC systems, or the support of an equally experienced team behind you, installing your own duct system can end up being more costly than it’s worth. Your best bet is to call a professional to make sure the job is done right the first time. Turn to DUCTZ for all of your AC duct cleaning needs in Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach!
Call DUCTZ today at (954) 366-6131 for your FREE Inspection today and improve your Indoor Air Quality!